When we first developed the idea behind this print -- to showcase Palestinians throughout our history as way of -- we never thought we would be able to capture a broad and true sampling of Palestinians due to a variety of reasons:
1) Many "smaller" individuals (scare quotes used because we should all know that these individuals are nowhere near to being small) find safety in their anonymity, whether for reasons of ensuring smoother travel through checkpoints to Palestine or for reasons of safekeeping themselves from the ego sometimes attached to renown in our movements. In any case, we didn't think it wise to illustrate the inspiring individuals we see in our everyday. That there are so many of them is so wonderful, don't you think?
2) Many of the public Palestinians figures we easily recall as being instrumental to the building of our movements -- especially in fields of academia and others -- tend to come from notable families. In other words, because of family influence rooting back to pre-Nakba times (think of families like the Khalidis and Husseinis), we see many of these [undoubtedly hard-working] people among our public figures in part perhaps due to class privilege. This is not to detract from their work, obviously! Rather, we bring up this point to introduce a note of consciousness of these realities as Palestinians in the diaspora we might be conscious of. Hopefully, we are a bit successful in showing a broader range of Palestinians who come form less "illustrious" backgrounds.
3) Finally, THERE'S JUST SO MANY OF US. How could we possibly illustrate us all into a single piece? :) We hope that you take inspiration from the backgrounds of all these individuals as we have in the time of working through this piece.
- Individuals (in no particular order): Ghassan Kanafani, Suheir Hammad, Najla Al-Rayyan, Mahmoud Darwish, Ismail Shammout, Mezna Qato, Fouad Hijazi, Wasif Jawhariyyeh, Mohammad Bakri, Hanin Zoabi, Khalid Sakakini, Annemarie Jacir, Naji Al-Ali, Muhammad Ali Taha, Edward Said, Sahar Khalifeh, Ibrahim Tuqan, Izz ad-Din Al-Qassam, Jamal Al-Durrah, Fatima Bernawi, Walid Khalidi, Samiha Khalil, Emile Habibi, and Suad Amiry.
- Some dimensions of this print will include white space above and below.
- Printed on Kodak Endura Professional Paper in a lustre finish.
- Perfect for your college dorm, home, or office.